Friday, August 19, 2011

Food Waste Friday - First Post!

In an attempt to save our family more money and to learn to live more frugally, I've been reading blogs on this topic. Did you know there are SO many people who are out there living on less and documenting their journeys?

One that I follow regularly is The Frugal Girl. Each Friday, she challenges her readers to share the food that they have "wasted" through the week. I've been trying for a little bit to reduce our waste, some weeks are certainly better than others!

So this week I trashed,

- a salad from Swiss Chalet from when Pamela was visiting...that was a couple weeks ago, ew.
- some dipping sauce from Little Caesars, again from when Pamela was visiting.
- some blueberries that got "lost" in the fridge. They were very, um, slimy.
- the bottom of a bottle of roasted red peppers. I pulled these out to use in a recipe this week and they were obviously no longer usable.

Not awesome, but not great either!

Hopefully this will turn into a weekly post of myself staying accountable to reducing our food waste.

3 comments:

Emma and Christeen said...

Hi
I just posted on The Frugal Girl with my first food waste so I feel your pain about the waste. It does make you think about it when you take the picture and not do the mindless toss in the bin. Good luck with your goal!

Sarah (Creen) Benn said...

We've gotten a lot better at eating our leftovers in the last year...we throw out a lot less food now than we used to. It's tough, there are some things that go bad soooo fast. I'm also trying to recycle more. Generally we only have 1 bag of trash a week now and it's not always even full.

Rachel said...

Sarah, we always eat leftovers...I generally waste things that I just don't use enough. I have some pretty awesome Tupperware that I use to keep my fruits and veggies fresh for longer, so that helps.

We recycle whatever we can and backyard compost. We do have a green bin program here too so if there is any food waste it doesn't go out with the garbage.

It's rare if we have a full bag of actual trash every week!