Monday, June 27, 2011

The Strawberries are Ready!

Last year I bought a flat of strawberries from a Mennonite in a parking lot to make jam out of. It was my plan this year to pick our own berries though. It certainly wasn't something that I was willing to brave on my own with the kids and without Scott though! It worked out well that Scott was off Friday and the weather was ok, so we headed out.

Logan was SO excited...Jacob was looking ahead to a puddle that he noticed.

And then proceeded to splash through.

I guess Scott thinks this look is in?

Picking berries!

Logan did a good job picking the ripe ones. I'm pretty sure he didn't even eat one!

Jacob on the other hand...

Was a bit harder to control!

Master picker.

All the boys. There were so many berries! It didn't take us long at all to fill our baskets.

A view of the field.

Our haul.

I made 4 batches of freezer jam. A strawberry rhubarb crisp. Plus we've eaten a lot of berries and I'm going to freeze what's left before they get too mushy!

2 comments:

Pamela said...

wow, those look soooo yummy!!!!

and, that picture of Jacob is priceless!!! :D

grandma said...

So awesome!! Good for all of you!