Sunday, July 6, 2008

Birds, Bunnies and Birthdays

I have a couple days to catch up on here...bear with me!

Saturday, Logan, Scott and I went to Victoria Park for lunch and a walk around the park. Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have a fear of birds....irrational as it may sound to some of you, it's for real! Logan, fortunately, doesn't seem to have this fear as the ducks and swans got very close to us at the park. Scott was trying to feed him as the swans were making their way to the water.

Logan watching the swan intently
The swan staring right at us!
His happy expression when he sees the swan moving

This morning on our way out the door on the way to church, we noticed a rabbit sitting in the middle of the lawn. Scott took Logan a bit closer to show him and we were both surprised that even as close as we were getting, the rabbit was not hopping away. After watching for a couple minutes, we realized that the rabbit was giving birth! Here she'd dug herself a nest in the middle of our front lawn to have her little babies. When she was "done" she sat up a bit and revealed 4 (I think) ugly, little, hairless bunnies. She licked them off, and then shoved them under the grass that she had dug up. Then she promptly hopped away...like I mean hop. I wish that humans could recover from giving birth so quickly.

Mommy rabbit giving birth
Pushing the babies under the grass...if you look closely, you can see them
What the nest looks like
Baby bunnies, just a few hours old
Baby bunnies again

I found out from Wipikedia that rabbit parents are very inattentive to their young and act pretty much as absentee parents. The mother births the "kittens" then leaves and usually only returns once per day for a quick feeding. Because they feed so infrequently, rabbit milk is very nutrient rich and just a very short nursing session once per day gives the babies all they need to survive.

This afternoon, we headed over to Scott's parent's house for the Annual "Miller Birthday Bash". Since Scott, his brother, his mom and dad all have birthdays in late June/early July, we get together once to celebrate. We sat out in the backyard and enjoyed the nice weather. Logan had a good time visiting everyone and went right to bed when he got home!

Logan in his retro high chair at grandma and grandpa Miller's house

Logan and I and my mom are heading to New Brunswick on Tuesday to visit my sister. It'll be Logan's first time on a plane and sleeping in a hotel. We've got a few activities planned but will mostly just be relaxing. I'll try and post from there if I get a chance...which I probably will...what else do you do in a hotel room at night when a baby is sleeping?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad the Logan likes birds!!