Thursday, April 24, 2014

Feeding the Birds

There are two things in this post that I really don't like...birds and crafts. But my kids like both so I took one for the team and helped them make some "bird feeders" when they were home from school on Easter Monday.

We have one "real" bird feeder but it's for niger seed. We needed more for the feeder but Scott didn't know it was specific and bought regular birdseed which will not work in our feeder.

So I rounded up some toilet paper tubes and some peanut butter and we waited for Norah to take a nap and headed out to work on them!


That's a fresh jar of peanut butter there!
I realized the boys have limited knife and spreading skills. Something we should probably work on.
Concentrating hard.
So focused.
Tasting the peanut butter.
It took a long time. Mostly because they just kept gooping the peanut butter on. I helped with the spreading.
Then we rolled them in the seed.
They liked this part better.
Logan too!
Now a very messy jar of peanut butter!

Then we headed to hang them all over the yard. We made 5 in total (I had supplies for more but they were done). The idea was that you just slid the toilet paper tube onto a branch but we quicky realized that we have very few reachable branches in our yard! So it was a bit of a challenge.

I'm bending the branch so he can reach...
Logan climbed up higher (smart!) to see if he could reach.
Nope. Still nothing.
Poor guy.
We did have to improvise a bit!
Today, they are all gone. I'm not sure who or what ate them but they're gone. The boys want to make them again soon!

3 comments:

grandma said...

Good for you, Rachel!!! I wondered what the cardboard tube on the tree that I saw yesterday! lol

grandma said...

BTW, Dad would hate that peanut butter jar!

Dad said...

yup :)